I was skimming through some questions on Yahoo! this morning, and happened upon one inquirer who asked the following : “Should the death penalty be reintroduced for crimes against children, cop killers, rapists and terrorists?”. He then proceeded to elaborate : “In view of increasingly horrific crime statistics, can we sit back anymore and watch our over crowded prisons failing, or do we need to adopt more extreme measures?”.
Here’s the deal. I generally lean towards Republican view-points. However, brace yourselves, I am against the death penalty. My reasons being the following :
- Punishing death by death = Hypocrisy. Explain this to me, how is it un-lawful to kill another human being, yet it is legal to punish such a human being who commits those atrocious acts by death? Realize this – Our government is comprised of people, human beings such as yourself. What exactly gives them (or any of us for that matter) the right to decide another human beings eternal fate? Nothing. Nothing gives us that right.
- Violation of Bill of Rights. This falls under “Cruel and Unusual”
- It costs decent, hard working, American tax payer’s money
- It solves nothing. Your loved one is not brought back. The crime rates don’t lower. Justice has not prevailed.
- Last but not least – The innocence of the accused could possibly be realized a month after being legally murdered
What are your thoughts?